Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A Quick Introduction

I'm generally not good at being brief, but I'll try to give you a quick idea of who I am and how I live without writing an entire autobiography in my first post. Bear with me, I will probably find this a very difficult task.

I grew up a country girl that was born and raised (okay, TRAPPED would be a more accurate word) in town. My earliest memory is of petting a horse at rodeo when I was 18 months old. My mother swears I can not possibly remember it, but yet she can't explain how I am still able to accurately describe the entire scene with great detail - right down to the fact that the horse was a palomino. I can not remember a time when I didn't love horses - all animals really, but horses especially.

Growing up in a family that wasn't exactly "pro" animal was a challenge for me, but over the years I managed to weasel my way into having hamsters, rabbits, a cat, and eventually a dog. I begged and begged and begged for a horse - probably every day of my life. I went to horse camp every summer and worked as a ranch hand as many weekends as possible at a riding stable about 45 minutes away. All I've ever really, really, really longed for in life is to live in the country and own horses.

Fast forward to marrying my husband almost 16 years ago. He had grown up on 25 acres in the country himself and while animals weren't really his focus, he eventually wanted to live the country life too. Finding and affording the right place wasn't easy though. It took 9 years before we were able to buy our 8 acre farmette and move from town out to the country.

While nothing has been exactly "easy" for us, living here with our two children is something we truly cherish. Today we share our country home with 4 horses, a pony, 27 chickens, a goat, 2 sheep, 3 dogs, 3 cats and 3 rabbits - though these counts are always subject to change without notice.

I guess, for me, this blog will be a way to document my thoughts and experiences - a diary of sorts. If anyone cares to read it, fantastic. I hope it doesn't bore anyone to tears. :)

No comments: