Sunday, November 23, 2008

Cold Weather Really Bites

I hate being cold and I hate cold weather. I have no idea why on earth I live in the midwest and if it were up to me, I wouldn't. But I do, and since I am stuck in this god-forsaken arctic tundra, it is time again to get everything as ready as possible to ride out the chill. Since I can't use a 100' hose to fill water tanks as I do in above-freezing temps, I can only use one livestock tank. Normally, all the horses run the pasture together and this is not a problem. However, this year, we have Brett recovering from a broken elbow, and we don't want her getting down into the lower part of the pasture in several feet of snow and not being able to get back up under the overhang of the barn for shelter and water. So we had to find a way to divide up our dry lot AND our overhang AND our water tank. With various materials we had lying around, Dave managed to get the job done yesterday, with a little bit of help from me. So far, it looks like it's going to work just as I'd hoped; both sides have access to the overhang and the water tank. Yay! Now I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for a quick, mild, uneventful winter. And if Dave's employer could relocate him to some tropical area, that'd be cool too.




No comments: